Rudraksha is a seed that is used as a prayer bead in Hinduism, especially in Shaivism. When they are ripe, Rudraksha seeds are covered by a blue outer shell and are sometimes called blueberry beads.The seeds are associated with the Hindu deity Shiva and are commonly worn for protection and for chanting mantras such as Om Namah Shivaya. The seeds are primarily used in India, Indonesia and Nepal as beads for organic jewellery and malas; they are valued similarly to semi-precious stones. Various meanings and interpretations are attributed to beads with different numbers of segments (mukh), and rare or unique beads are highly prized and valuable.
Rudraksha is a Sanskrit compound word consisting of Rudra (Sanskrit: रुद्र) and akṣa (Sanskrit: अक्ष ). Rudra is one of Shiva’s vedic names and Akṣa means ‘teardrops’. Thus, the name means “Lord Rudra’s teardrops”.
Usually the beads are strung together as a mala. Traditionally, they believe the number of beads is 108 plus one. The extra bead is the bindu. There must always be a bindu to the mala, otherwise the energy becomes cyclical and people who are sensitive may become dizzy. An adult should not wear a mala with less than 84 beads plus the bindu. Any number over that is fine. When you string them, it is best that they are strung with either a silk thread or a cotton thread. The mala can be worn all the time. You can even wear it when you shower. If you take cold water baths and are not using any chemical soap, it is especially good for the water to flow over it and upon your body. But if you are using chemical soaps and warm water, it becomes brittle and will crack after sometime, so it is best to avoid wearing it at such times.
Hindu scriptures talk of several benefits of wearing Rudraksha. Here are the most popular benefits you will get by wearing Rudraksha seeds.
- Rudraksha can balance the vital forces within the body and fights all kinds of contaminations. This quality lets you stay unharmed in new environments and while consuming foods you are not used to. Hence Rudraksha was highly useful to the Sadhus of Hinduism who have to travel far and wide in their lives. Now days you will find it useful to Businessmen and Sales personnel who have to travel for job. If you are an extensive traveller, Rudraksha can help you overcome all kinds of illnesses and problems related to travels.
- Rudraksha can protect your body against the negative energies used by someone against you. Due to jealousy and hatred, wicked people make use of evil spells to cause troubles to others. The benefits of wearing Rudraksha can help the person protect himself from such negative energies.
- Rudraksha is known to enhance the power of mind and sharpen focus and concentration. These properties are highly useful to Sadhus for meditation, students for learning and grownups for excelling in their careers. Especially four faced and six faced Rudraksha beads tied in copper wire can help enhance memory.
- In many cases, Rudraksha eases pains and cures poisonous sings. For a long time, people have been depending on these seeds to remedy the pain due to scorpion bite. Especially the five faced Rudraksha is rubbed on a grinding stone and the paste is applied over the affected parts.
- Ayurveda believes that the human body is made of three forces namely air, bile and phlegm. All the diseases are caused due to the imbalance of these three aspects in the body. Consuming the powder of Rudraksha by mixing it in water can help in maintaining the balance of air, bile and phlegm.
- Rudraksha beads have strong electromagnetic properties. This is a highly useful quality to control blood pressure. By relieving the heat from the body, Rudraksha also relaxes the body. In the treatment of blood pressure, drinking a preparation mixing the ashes of 2 faced Rudraksha and Swarnamachik is known to give remarkable results.
- Especially the four faced Rudraksha is known to improve the memory power and intelligence. Hence students will find wearing Rudraksha highly useful in furthering their academic performance.
- The benefits of wearing Rudraksha for treating skin problems are noteworthy. It helps treat a range of skin problems including skin diseases, injuries, wounds, irritation and itching. For treating skin diseases, Rudraksha is put in a copper vessel containing water and left overnight. The water is drunk in the morning in empty stomach. For treating injuries and wounds, a paste of 9 faced Rudraksha and Tulsi (basil) leaves is used.
Explore our Spiritual Category to buy Rudraksh. 100% tested from trusted Laboratories